Product Safety

In Canada, any equipment that is connected to the electrical system must be tested and certified to meet Canadian standards. This is an enforceable legal requirement. Non-certified equipment coming into Canada may be rejected at the border or be declared unfit for use by an electrical inspector at a job site. Furthermore, if non-certified equipment is implicated in a fire, insurance companies may deny payment. For customer protection, certification is vital.

What needs to be certified? (Note: The loop antenna wire does not require certification).

For smaller equipment with a removable power supply, only the power supply requires certification. The operating voltage of the equipment beyond the power supply is low voltage (less than 50 volts) and falls outside of the certification requirements.

Larger pieces of equipment (room loop amplifiers) that do not have a removable power supply must be certified as a unit.

How can I tell if equipment is certified for use in Canada?

Look for the certification label on the power supply or the loop amplifier. Often it will be a CSA label, however, other agencies will use their own certification label. The more common non-CSA labels will be ULc, ETLc or TUVc. Note the “c” – it’s essential.


From time to time people ask about the effect of hearing loops on pacemakers. While no scientific study has been done, this link will be helpful in alleviating any concerns.